Back in 2010 I published a list of WordPress plugins that were installed here on the site. You can see the original WordPress plugin listing with a click on the link.
This article looks at the WordPress plugins that are installed today here on Ghacks. If you compare this listing with the one from 2010, you will notice that some plugins had to go, and that a lot have been added to the site.
WordPress plugins extend the blog in a similar fashion that Firefox add-ons or Google Chrome extension the browser. They most of the time add functionality that the default WordPress installation is not offering, and sometimes modify or remove existing features or options.
WordPress Plugin List
- Akismet – Without doubt the anti-spam plugin for WordPress blogs. You need an Akismet key before you can use the plugin. I have tried other plugins in the past but non came close in terms of protection.
- All In One SEO Pack – The SEO plugin back then, and a good choice today. There are better plugins available, like Yoast’s WordPress SEO plugin but it still does its job. I’m mainly keeping it as I do not want to risk that a migration changes core settings.
- Broken Link Checker – An essential plugin that verifies that links posted on the blog are not broken or redirecting. A few dozen links break every week, and this plugin helps me correct the issues quickly.
- Category SEO Meta Tags – Categories in WordPress do not have their own meta tags, which in turn means that you cannot add your own descriptions to your categories. This plugin resolves the issue.
- Contact Form ][ – A contact plugin for WordPress. Easy to setup, does its job well.
- DB Cache Reloaded Fix – A database caching plugin for WordPress. Caches database queries to reduce the load on the database server.
- Google XML Sitemaps – Creates sitemaps and submits them to various search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing or Ask.
- Hyper Cache – A caching system for WordPress that works well with DB Cache Reloaded Fix. Better than other caching plugins in my opinion.
- Internal Link Building – Create links automatically on your site.
- MaGiKS Geo Country – A premium plugin that I use to geo-target advertisement on the blog.
- PubSubHubbub – Helps you fight scraper sites (those that publish your RSS feed completely on other sites). This basically tells Google and other search engines that you are the content creator.
- Smart Archives Reloaded – Powers the Ghacks archive section.
- Subscribe To Comments – Adds comment subscription options. This basically sends out notifications if new article comments have been posted.
- Thank Me Later – Sends a thank you email to first time users who leave a comment on the site.
- WordPress Download Monitor – This plugin powers the download section here on Ghacks. I use it as a repository for programs that are otherwise no longer available on the Internet. This is for instance the case when the developer website gets closed.
- WP-PageNavi – Better page navigation for WordPress blogs. Also better for search engine indexation.
- WP-Print – Powers the print option that removes much of the clutter from a page before the printing.
- WPtouch Pro – Another premium plugin that powers the Ghacks mobile site.
- YARPP Experiments – Improves the functionality of the YARPP plugin. See below.
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin – Displays related posts for each WordPress post.
- Yoast Breadcrumbs – Powers the breadcrumb navigation on the site.
from gHacks Technology News | Latest Tech News, Software And Tutorials March 07, 2012 at 08:54AM